Free School Meals
Families in receipt of certain benefits are entitled to obtain Free School Meals for their children. These benefits are
- Income Support
- income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- the guaranteed element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit
Make an application
Applications for free school meals should be made via your home local authority. Visit Swindon LA's webpage for more information about how to apply. Visit website
Any student who applies and is entitled to free school meals obtain additional funding for GWA. This is called pupil premium. In 2016 each eligible Yr 7 - 11 student attracted £935 additional funding for secondary schools so we would encourage those families to apply. The money is designated to raise the attainment for those pupils who are eligible for FSM.
GWA will publish details of the pupil premium strategy in due course.